QmidiNet is a MIDI network gateway application that sends and receives MIDI data (ALSA Sequencer and/or JACK MIDI) over the network, using UDP/IP multicast. Inspired by multimidicast and designed to be compatible with ipMIDI for Windows.
Drumstick Metronome is a MIDI based metronome using the ALSA sequencer. It’s intended for musicians and music students, as a tool to keep the rhythm while playing musical instruments. It uses MIDI for sound generation instead of digital audio, allowing low CPU usage and very accurate timing, thanks to the ALSA sequencer.
- Easy to use graphic user interface.
- MIDI only. Can be used with software or external MIDI synthesizers.
- Based on ALSA sequencer. Provides input and output ports
- Highly customizable parameters.
- External control: D-Bus and MIDI realtime.
- Custom rhythm patterns.
Distraction-free – Helio is an attempt to rethink a music sequencer to create a tool that feels right. It provides a lightweight UI to help you get into the zone and focus on your ideas.
Clear over clever – Visualize music in a way that doesn’t seem so smoke and mirrors. The app may serve as a learning tool you need to grow as a composer.
Cross-platform tech – Available for all major platforms, desktop and mobile. Hosts VST and AudioUnit, runs on CoreAudio, ASIO, DirectSound, ALSA, JACK and OpenSLES. Exports to MIDI, WAV and FLAC.
Zrythm is a cross-platform digital audio workstation designed to be featureful and easy to use. Automate almost anything with automation events using straight lines, ramps and curves, or with LFOs and envelopes. Featuring a chord pad for quickly trying out chords in a scale and a chord track to help with chord progressions.
Complete support for LV2 and VST2, with experimental support for VST3, AU, SFZ and SF2. Fully JACK aware, including support for JACK transport, ALSA, WASAPI, Windows MME, CoreMidi and CoreAudio.
Zrythm is free software. Use, study, share and improve it freely. Available in multiple languages including English, French, Galician, Portuguese, Japanese and German.
Carla is a fully-featured modular audio plugin host, with support for many audio drivers and plugin formats. It has some nice features like transport control, automation of parameters via MIDI CC and remote control over OSC.
Carla currently supports LADSPA (including LRDF), DSSI, LV2, VST2, VST3 and AU plugin formats, plus SF2 and SFZ file support. It uses JACK as the default and preferred audio driver but also supports native drivers like ALSA, DirectSound or CoreAudio.
There are 4 types of engine processing:
- Single-client: (JACK driver only)
Same as Multi-client, except that all JACK ports belong to a single master client.
This is needed when a setup doesn’t support multi-client JACK apps, such as LADISH.
- Multi-client: (JACK driver only)
Every single plugin is exposed as a new JACK client. Audio and MIDI ports are registered as needed.
Plugins are processed in order, from top to bottom.
Plugins with non-stereo audio channels are not supported, but a forced-stereo option is available for Mono ones.
Modular patchbay mode, just like in JACK Multi-client and many other modular applications.
Every plugin gets its own canvas group and ports allowing you to interconnect plugin audio and MIDI.
XMMS is a multimedia player for unix systems. XMMS stands for X MultiMedia System and can play media files such as MP3, MOD’s, WAV and others with the use of Input plugins.
XMMS is mainly targeted at music playback, but through third party plugins some rudimentary video capabilities exists, but there are much better systems other than XMMS for video support.
It was modeled after winamp from the Windows operating system. XMMS is not a port of Winamp but was written from scratch by Mikael and Peter Alm.
IMMS is an intelligent playlist plug-in for XMMS that tracks your listening patterns and dynamically adapts to your taste. It is incredibly unobtrusive and easy to use as it requires no direct user interaction.
gmorgan is a rhythm station, a modern organ with full editable accompaniment for play in real time emulating the capabilities of commercial rhythm stations “Korg”,”Roland”, “Solton” … also has a small pattern based sequencer like “Band in a Box”. Uses the capabilities of ALSA sequencer to produce MIDI accompaniment.
Bristol is synth emulation package for a diverse range of vintage synthesisers, electric pianos and organs. The application consists of a multithreaded audio synthesizer and a user interface called brighton.
- Over thirty emulators to mix and match
- Multitimbral engine
- Simultaneous splits and layers of different emulators
- Distributed graphical user interface and engine
- ALSA Audio and MIDI support
- Jack Audio and MIDI support
- OSS Audio and MIDI support
- LADI Session Manager support
- JACK Session Manager support
- Text Based Command Line Interface option
- Monophonic key preference note logic option
DarkIce records audio from an audio interface (e.g. sound card), encodes it and sends it to a streaming server.
DarkIce can record from:
- OSS audio devices
- ALSA audio devices
- Solaris audio interface
- Jack sources
- uLaw audio input through a serial interface
- CoreAudio (branch darkice-macosx)
DarkIce can encode in the following formats:
- MP3 – using the lame library
- MP2 – using the twolame library
- Ogg Vorbis
- AAC LC – using the faac library
- AAC HEv2 – using libaacplus library
- Opus – using Xiph’s libopus library
- Vorbis – using Xiph’s libvorbis library
DarkIce can send the encoded stream to the following streaming servers:
ScoreDate is your date with the music! It is open source software written in Java that helps musicians learn to read music; it also helps with ear training. It is suitable for any skill level, from beginner to professional; from slow training to first sight reading.
- Notes in line exercise
- Rhythms exercise
- Score reading exercise
- Ear training exercise with 4 levels of difficulty
- Exercises – creation, edit, save and playback
- Statistics with monthly and daily view
- Support of four clefs: Violin, Bass, Alto, Tenor, with a maximum of two at the same time
- Support of notes: Whole, half, dotted half, quarter, dotted quarter, eighth, triplets, pauses
- Selection of the notes range for each clef. Maximum of 4 additional lines above and below the staff
- Virtual piano, to exercise without having external devices
- Chords, intervals and accidentals exercise
- Learning mode, that shows the name of the note or the chord displayed on the staff
- Realtime playback supporting ASIO, WDMKS, DirectSound, Jack, ALSA, OSS
- Translated in to 15 languages