Music Blocks is a programming language and collection of manipulative tools for exploring musical and mathematical concepts in an integrative and fun way.
Advanced GTK+ Sequencer is intended to use for music composition. It features a piano roll, as well a synth, matrix editor, drum machine, soundfont2 player, mixer and an output panel.
It’s designed to be highly configurable, you may add effects to its effect chain, add or remove audio channels/pads.
You may set up a fully functional network of engines, therefore exists a link editor for linking audio lines.
In conjunction with ags you need a realtime kernel and alsa support. `ags` uses conditional locks to keep several threads in sync that’s why you need at least a preemptible kernel.
- save or open Advanced Gtk+ Sequencer XML files with XPath support
- add or remove audio engines with adjustable audio channels and pads
- link channels with property dialog
- output panel, mixer, drum and matrix sequencer, soft synth and audio file player
- piano roll with basic notation editing supporting copy & paste
- adjustable BPM
- LADSPA, DSSI and Lv2 support
- export to WAV, FLAC, OGG and others
- multiple sinks like Pulseaudio, JACK, ALSA and OSS
- automation editor
- waveform editor with copy & paste
- capture sound with AgsAudiorec machine
- MIDI instrument input
- import/export to Standard MIDI Files
- OSC content format support
- OSC server for remote control and monitoring
Polymeter is a MIDI sequencer for music that’s in multiple prime meters (1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, etc.) simultaneously. Each track has its own loop length, and when the lengths differ, the tracks “slip” (or shift phase) relative to each other. The resulting interference pattern is sufficiently intricate that variations similar to the embellishments of a live performer can be generated algorithmically.
- Multitrack step sequencer for polymeter
- Each track has its own loop length
- Any number of tracks, of any length
- Full clipboard support (copy/cut/paste)
- Unlimited undo and redo for all edits
- Multiple tracks can be edited at once
- Optionally shows current position within each track
- Drag reordering of tracks
- Exports a MIDI file
- Join adjacent steps to make tied notes
- Velocity editing
- Controller tracks
- Recording of live arrangement
- Editing of arrangement on timeline
- Inter-track modulation of mute, note, velocity, duration, position, and more
- Live performance view with full screen mode
- Recursive modulation (modulation of modulation) for mute and position
- Modulation graphing via Graphviz
- MIDI mapping of all parameters with learn mode
- Optionally transmits MIDI clock
OpenMPT is a powerful audio application that makes writing music fun, easy and efficient.
OpenMPT (shorthand for Open ModPlug Tracker) is completely free and allows you to create and play back some great music on your computer. Based on the original ModPlug Tracker written by Olivier Lapicque, OpenMPT is free software, can import a wide variety of module formats and offers an intuitive, native GUI as well as advanced features such as VST plugins and ASIO output.
In addition to its own song format, OpenMPT can natively edit Impulse Tracker, FastTracker, Scream Tracker and ProTracker module files.
OpenMPT based module player library and libopenmpt based command-line player:
- libopenmpt is a cross-platform C++ and C library to decode tracked music files (modules) [wikipedia] into a raw PCM audio stream.
- openmpt123 is a cross-platform command-line or terminal based module file player.
libopenmpt is based on the player code of the OpenMPT project (Open ModPlug Tracker). In order to avoid code base fragmentation, libopenmpt is developed in the same source code repository as OpenMPT.
libopenmpt ships with plugins for 3 popular Windows audio players already included:
- xmp-openmpt is a plugin based on libopenmpt for XMPlay.
- in_openmpt is an input plugin based on libopenmpt for WinAMP 2.x or later compatible players.
- foo_openmpt is a component based on libopenmpt for foobar2000.
Project SWAMI, Sampled Waveforms And Musical Instruments, is a collection of free software for editing, managing and playing musical instruments for MIDI music composition. Current focus is primarily the SoundFont format, which is an open file format for digital audio “sample” based instruments.
Common Music (CM) is a real-time music composition system implemented in JUCE/C++ and Scheme. It generates musical output via MIDI, OSC, CLM, FOMUS and CSOUND. Its user application is called GRACE (Graphical Real-time Algorithmic Composition Environment)
- Algorithmic music composition environment
- Runs on Mac, Windows and Linux
- Real time scheduling of musical algorithms
- Two coding languages for designing algorithms: S7 Scheme and SAL (an easy-to-learn alternate)
- MIDI input/output
- CLM/Sndlib audio system built in (Scottstaedt)
- CCRMA digital audio instrument definitions built in (Scottstaedt)
- Open Sound Control input/output
- Metronomes and running algorithm redefinition for live coding
- Data visualization
- Music pattern definitions
- Fomus system built in for computing music notations (Psenicka)
Algorithms and Interactive Tools for Exploring Music Composition, Analysis, and Interdisciplinary Learning.
This web site has interactive tools that provide a unique learning experience for users, regardless of their musical training. Students of music composition can explore algorithmic composition, while others can create musical representations of models for the purpose of aural interpretation and analysis. Here, the algorithmic process is used in a creative context so that users can convert sequences of numbers into sounds.
Frescobaldi is a free and open source LilyPond sheet music text editor. Designed to be powerful yet lightweight and easy-to-use, Frescobaldi offers great functionality and a host of useful features such as music view with advanced two-way Point & Click, Midi capturing to enter music, a Snippet Manager and many more.
Frescobaldi is named after Girolamo Frescobaldi (1583-1643), an Italian composer of keyboard music in the late Renaissance and early Baroque period.
- Powerful text editor with syntax highlighting and automatic completion
- Music view with advanced two-way Point & Click
- Midi player to proof-listen LilyPond-generated MIDI files
- Midi capturing to enter music
- Powerful Score Wizard to quickly setup a music score
- Snippet Manager to store and apply text snippets, templates or scripts
- Use multiple versions of LilyPond, automatically selects the correct version
- Built-in LilyPond documentation browser and built-in help
- Configurable document outline view to navigate large LilyPond scores easily
- Smart layout-control functions like coloring specific objects in the PDF
- Import ABC, Midi and MusicXML using the LilyPond-provided tools
- Experimental export to MusicXML
- Modern user interface with configurable colors, fonts and keyboard shortcuts
- Translated into: Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Czech, Russian, Spanish, Galician, Turkish, Polish, Brazilian and Ukrainian.
Jniz is a free proprietary piece of software designed for musicians as a support tool to the musical composition. It allows you to build and to harmonize several voices according to the rules of classical harmony.
To be convinced of the limitations observed and of the work done by the great classical masters such as Bach, Mozart or Beethoven, please refer to Wikipedia, the Walter Piston Harmony book or the Schonberg theory.
The perfect knowledge and the good practice of these rules are not required but you will undoubtedly save time and it will help you greatly in using and understanding the mechanism of Jniz.
- interface of musical notation which allows you to create, edit, save a score
- number of voices up to 16 (256 with layers).
- possibility to change of Key at any time.
- Jnz, MusicXml, LillyPond, Midi, PDF export.
- listen to the available Midi ports.
- redo / undo
- Non harmonic tones (appoggiatura, echappee, suspension, passing, pedal, cambiata, anticipation)
- Minor melodic keys
- Chords notation recognition
- harmonic correction of your work following the set of predefined rules
- to give one or several solutions in case of fault if one or more rules are circumvented (Solver module).
- Empty staves filled up by Solver (Auto Harmonizing)
- Keys / modulations simulation tool
- Solvers serialization
- multi-cores support
- Input with Midi keyboards or microphones / input lines
- Audio / sound to midi converter (monophonic)
- Windows, Linux, OS X compatible (32/64 bits)
- multi-languages support
A unique desktop music composing application for PC / Mac / Linux / Android with a tracker style interface and a simple modular Java plugin based design allowing rapid improvement and endless expansion.