Tapedeck is an audio editor for Linux with an alternative control interface. Instead of a mouse, keyboard, and screen, it uses the DJ board Hercules DJ Control Instinct, and a set of LED graph displays (not currently implemented, simulated with terminal graphics).https://github.com/vanjac/tapedeck
Distraction-free – Helio is an attempt to rethink a music sequencer to create a tool that feels right. It provides a lightweight UI to help you get into the zone and focus on your ideas.
Clear over clever – Visualize music in a way that doesn’t seem so smoke and mirrors. The app may serve as a learning tool you need to grow as a composer.
Cross-platform tech – Available for all major platforms, desktop and mobile. Hosts VST and AudioUnit, runs on CoreAudio, ASIO, DirectSound, ALSA, JACK and OpenSLES. Exports to MIDI, WAV and FLAC.
Ecasound is a software package designed for multitrack audio processing. It can be used for simple tasks like audio playback, recording and format conversions, as well as for multitrack effect processing, mixing, recording and signal recycling. Ecasound supports a wide range of audio inputs, outputs and effect algorithms. Effects and audio objects can be combined in various ways, and their parameters can be controlled by operator objects like oscillators and MIDI-CCs. A versatile console mode user-interface is included in the package.
The primary platform for running Ecasound is GNU/Linux. Ecasound can also be run on many UNIX-derived systems such as FreeBSD, Mac OS X and Solaris. Limited support for Windows is available through Cygwin.
This is the community version of Element, a modular AU / LV2 / VST / VST3 audio plugin host. Create powerful effects, racks and instruments by connecting nodes to one another. Integrates with your existing hardware via standard protocols such as MIDI.
- Runs standalone or as a plugin in your DAW
- Route Audio and MIDI from anywhere to anywhere
- Play virtual instruments and effects live
- Create re-usable instruments and effect graphs
- Preloaded plugin graphs
- External sync w/ MIDI clock
- MIDI controller mapping
- Sub graphing – nest graphs within each other
- Custom keyboard shortcuts
- Placeholder nodes
- Built in virtual keyboard
- Multiple undo/redo
Dexed is a multi-platform, multi-format plugin synth that is closely modelled on the Yamaha DX7. Dexed is also a midi cartridge librarian / manager for the DX7.
- Multi platform (OS X, Windows or Linux) and multi format. (VST, AU, LV2)
- The sound engine music-synthesizer-for-android is closely modelled on the original DX7 characteristics.
- 144 DAW automatable DX7 parameters available from one single panel.
- Fully supports DX7 input and output Sysex messages; including controller change. This means that you can use this with a native DX7/TX7 as a patch editor and sysex manager.
- Each operator has a realtime VU meter so you know which one is active.
- Can load or save any DX7/TX7 sysex programs. It is also possible to save a single program into a different sysex file.
Synthesizer plugin for ADLMIDI and OPNMIDI (VST/LV2). This software package provides FM synthesizer plugins, based on OPL3 and OPN2 sound chip emulations.
The emulations and the drivers are provided by libADLMIDI and libOPNMIDI.
- control of multiple YMF262/YM2612 emulated chips
- high fidelity emulation, with choice of compromise level (good fidelity / fast, excellent fidelity / slow)
- synthesis of melodic and percussive instruments
- bundled collection of instruments
- support for dynamic parameterization and automation
- rigorous implementation of the MIDI standard
- multi-channel operation with General MIDI compatibility
- ability to synthesize entire MIDI files out of the box
Carla is a fully-featured modular audio plugin host, with support for many audio drivers and plugin formats. It has some nice features like transport control, automation of parameters via MIDI CC and remote control over OSC.
Carla currently supports LADSPA (including LRDF), DSSI, LV2, VST2, VST3 and AU plugin formats, plus SF2 and SFZ file support. It uses JACK as the default and preferred audio driver but also supports native drivers like ALSA, DirectSound or CoreAudio.
There are 4 types of engine processing:
- Single-client: (JACK driver only)
Same as Multi-client, except that all JACK ports belong to a single master client.
This is needed when a setup doesn’t support multi-client JACK apps, such as LADISH.
- Multi-client: (JACK driver only)
Every single plugin is exposed as a new JACK client. Audio and MIDI ports are registered as needed.
Plugins are processed in order, from top to bottom.
Plugins with non-stereo audio channels are not supported, but a forced-stereo option is available for Mono ones.
Modular patchbay mode, just like in JACK Multi-client and many other modular applications.
Every plugin gets its own canvas group and ports allowing you to interconnect plugin audio and MIDI.
gmorgan is a rhythm station, a modern organ with full editable accompaniment for play in real time emulating the capabilities of commercial rhythm stations “Korg”,”Roland”, “Solton” … also has a small pattern based sequencer like “Band in a Box”. Uses the capabilities of ALSA sequencer to produce MIDI accompaniment.
Seq24 is a minimal loop based midi sequencer. It was created to provide a very simple interface for editing and playing midi ‘loops’. After searching for a software based sequencer that would provide the functionality needed for a live performance, such as the Akai MPC line, the Kawai Q80 sequencer, or the popular Alesis MMT-8, I found nothing similar in the software realm. I set out to create a very minimal sequencer that excludes the bloated features of the large software sequencers, and includes a small subset of features that I have found usable in performing.
Yoshimi is a software audio synthesizer, originally forked from ZynAddSubFX. Follow the links in the header for help with downloading and running it. You can also check out the manuals for detailed help, and listen to examples of music created with Yoshimi. Once you have it all set up, here are just some of the features you will find:
- Three separate engines, each with distinctive characteristics, can be used together or individually
- Sixteen engine kits for the ultimate in multi-layering of engines, or for synthesized drum kits
- Vector Control, manage up to four independent sounds on any channel with faders or an X/Y midi joystick
- Solo step through up to 16 sounds seamlessly while playing in real time (including vector sounds)
- Microtonal Tuning, Scala-compatible scales and keymaps
- Extensive Midi-Learn, capture almost all internal controls and many switches with ordinary 7-bit values, or NRPNs, or even 7-bit NRPNs, then edit the responses
- Command Line Access, headless operation and high accessibility, for those with sight- or motor control issues
- Rich variations of tone and timbre, Yoshimi provides the means to ensure no two notes are ever identical – just like in the real world