PyKaraoke is a free karaoke player for Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Windows, OSX and GP2X.
You can use this program to play your collection of CDG, MIDI and MPEG karaoke songs. No songs are provided, you must obtain these from elsewhere.
Visit here to find out more about what a CDG or MP3+G file is. In short, CDG is the format of professional karaoke CDs. These CDs can be ripped to your hard disk, and turned into a .mp3 file together with a .cdg file. This player gives you the ability to play those mp3+cdg files.
- CDG (MP3+G, OGG+G, WAV+G) playback – Play standard CDG karaoke files
- MIDI (.MID/.KAR) playback – Play MIDI format karaoke files
- MPEG playback – Play karaoke songs and movies in MPEG format
- Other formats – Play any other video formats by launching an external media player
- Playlist – Queue up songs, sit back and enjoy
- Searchable song database – Easily find your songs from the main screen
- Search inside ZIP files – Play MP3+G/MIDI files wrapped in ZIP files
- Cross-platform – Runs on Windows, Linux, BSD, OSX and GP2X
- Mini Frontend – Additional mini-frontend for low res displays and handhelds
- Export to MPEG – Convert CDG and KAR files to MPG files (command line only)
MAD is a high-quality MPEG audio decoder. It currently supports MPEG-1 and the MPEG-2 extension to lower sampling frequencies, as well as the de facto MPEG 2.5 format. All three audio layers — Layer I, Layer II, and Layer III (i.e. MP3) — are fully implemented.
MAD does not yet support MPEG-2 multichannel audio (although it should be backward compatible with such streams) nor does it currently support AAC.
MAD has the following special features:
- 24-bit PCM output
- 100% fixed-point (integer) computation
- completely new implementation based on the ISO/IEC standards
- available under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL)
FAAC is an Advanced Audio Coder (MPEG2-AAC, MPEG4-AAC). The goal of FAAC is to explore the possibilities of AAC and exceed the quality of the currently best MP3 encoders.
- High quality audio
- High-speed encoding
… a small utility for analysis of audio mpeg files and detection of the encoder used (when layer III).
Further, mp3guessenc can detect many details about the mpeg audio stream and print out lots of useful information.
Supported streams are mpeg 1, mpeg 2 and unofficial mpeg 2.5 – layer I, layer II and layer III of course. Xing tag, lame tag, VBRI tag, Id3 tags (both 1.x and 2.x), APE tags (both v1 and v2), Lyrics3 tags (both v1 and v2) and MusicMatch tag (any version) are detected as well.
MP3val is a small, high-speed, free software tool for checking MPEG audio files’ integrity. It can be useful for finding corrupted files (e.g. incompletely downloaded, truncated, containing garbage). MP3val is also able to fix most of the problems. Being a multi-platform application, MP3val can be run both under Windows and under Linux (or BSD).
The most common MPEG audio file type is MPEG 1 Layer III (mp3), but MP3val supports also other MPEG versions and layers. The tool is also aware of the most common types of tags (ID3v1, ID3v2, APEv2).