Triple Cheese: Luscious and cheesy, winner of the 2006 KVR Developer Challenge, is a truly unique freeware synthesizer. No traditional oscillators or wavetables, no FM or phase distortion and no analogue modelled filters here. A touch unusual and a little cheesy, Triple Cheese is quite capable of some surprising sounds.
Triple Cheese avoids classic synthesis techniques—no subtractive, frequency modulation (FM) or additive synthesis. Rather, it employs various types of comb filter, often in series, to generate and modify sound. Think of the comb filters as very short chromatically tuned delays. Three modules are arranged in series and either generate their own sound, or process the output of the previous module.
The features for each module can result in sounds that might seem a little “cheesy” or retro (think early 1980s digital synths). But when pushed, you will find Triple Cheese creates some surprisingly lush sounds.
- 8 different modes per comb filter module (11 modes total)
- Polyphonic (up to 16 voices), duophonic, monophonic (retriggered) or legato mode
- VCA with amplitude modulation, pan
- Skinnable User Interface
- 170 factory presets
mp3tomid chung is a realtime free polyphonic high quality mp3 audio to MIDI converter written in freebasic with fbsound. It converts mp3 files to polyphonic piano MIDI data sent to the chosen MIDI out port, connected for example to a MIDI recorder to produce MIDI files, or to the onboard PC MIDI mapper for direct listening.
- converts mp3 files to MIDI in realtime
- compatible with freemp3_chung & mp3_chung playlists (.mp3list files)
- include 3 band equalizer, autovol+compressor, speed control for the mp3 input
- auto pitch lock
- written in compiled freebasic and uses fbsound to handle mp3 files
- source code (.bas .bi freebasic files) is included in the zip file
- can run on a small netbook with Windows 7
- can export to MIDI files
- works with Windows 10 64 bits
Triceratops is an analogue style polyphonic subtractive synthesizer plugin, for use with the LV2 plugin architecture, at this time there is no standalone version. An up to date version of the LV2 library is required along with a suitable host (e.g. Qtractor, Jalv, Ardour).