Multi-Sub Optimizer (MSO) is a free Windows-based software program for optimizing the bass response of audio and AV systems having multiple subwoofers. It minimizes the seat-to-seat frequency response variation in the bass region while simultaneously optimizing the response flatness at the main listening position. You can choose to have MSO perform this optimization on just the subs, or to include the main speakers in the optimization. In the latter case, it automates the process of integrating the subs with the main speakers, including delay / distance settings and EQ in the crossover region.
Although it’s possible to use it for identical equalization (EQ) of all subs at once, it does not depend on a global EQ approach like commercial room correction systems do. Such systems cannot reduce the seat-to-seat variation of the bass response. Instead, MSO performs optimization of EQ, gain and delay parameters individually for each subwoofer. This individual EQ optimization for each sub causes the variation of the bass response from seat to seat to be reduced, and the bass response at each listening position to be flattened.
MSO can be used to perform tasks that include:
- Optimizing subwoofer integration with main speakers through delay, gain and EQ adjustments
- Reducing seat-to-seat frequency response variation of the combined sub outputs through optimized EQ of each sub individually
- Achieving optimum subwoofer integration via individual sub delay adjustments
- Improving response flatness of the combined sub outputs at all listening positions
- Creating, specifying and achieving your desired target frequency response curve to shape the bass response to your preference
- Plotting your data in a variety of ways
- Obtaining filter parameters as text files containing biquad coefficients for import into miniDSP EQ hardware, or for manual data entry into hardware that doesn’t support filter file import.