FluidSynth is a real-time software synthesizer based on the SoundFont 2 specifications and has reached widespread distribution. FluidSynth itself does not have a graphical user interface, but due to its powerful API several applications utilize it and it has even found its way onto embedded systems and is used in some mobile apps.
- Cross platform support (Linux, macOS and Windows to name a few)
- SoundFont 2 support
- SoundFont 3 support (vorbis-compressed SF2)
- Realtime effect control using SoundFont 2.01 modulators
- Playback of MIDI files
- Shared library which can be used in other programs
- Built in command line shell
QSynth ~ FluidSynth GUI Front-end
QSynth is a fluidsynth GUI front-end application written in C++ around the Qt framework using Qt Designer.
FluidPatcher ~ GUI & Automation
FluidPatcher is a performance-oriented interface for FluidSynth built using wxpython to create a simple GUI that allows live editing, selecting, and playing of patches. A patch is a collection of settings such as soundfont presets for each MIDI channel, control-change/sysex messages to send when the patch is selected, and midi router or effects settings. Groups of patches are stored in banks, which are saved as human-readable and -editable YAML files. This allows a musician to easily create complex combinations of synthesizer settings ahead of time and switch between them on the fly during a performance.
- Live playing: Play on your MIDI controller and hear the results
- Customization: Create your own combinations of instruments/effects
- Extendability: Use the included libraries to design your own implementations/software
Pingback: ANMP ~ Another Nameless Music Player | The Audio File