Playlists, or named lists of songs, are an essential aspect of Foobar2000. Whenever you add a song to Foobar, you are essentially adding it to one of your playlists. Foobar allows you to create and maintain playlists, which are lists of audio tracks (files).
Playlists can be created manually by adding individual songs, or automatically by specifying a set of conditions in a query with the result displayed as an “Autoplaylist”. Manually created playlists are static, they don’t change unless you change them, Autoplaylists are dynamic, that is the results may change whenever the playlist is queried.
Playlists created manually can be edited directly, while Autoplaylists are edited by modifying the query. However, you can save the results of an Autoplaylist as a new static, and therefore editable, playlist.
Creating an Autoplaylist of an Albumlist item like genre:
by genrefrom the Albumlist view selector
- Select a genre from the list of genres
- Right click that selected genre and select
You will now have a new Autoplaylist listed on the playlist manager tab with the name of the genre you selected. Playlists created this way are called an
Album List branch.
Creating an Autoplaylist of a folder’s contents:
- Select the
%path% HASreplace this with the actual path in the search field
- Rename the new playlist (hint, with the path)
AutoPlaylist query examples:
- Lossless ~ “$info(encoding)” IS lossless
- Lossy ~ “$info(encoding)” IS lossy
- Missing title ~ title MISSING (no percent signs)
- Never played ~ %play_count% MISSING
- No Dynamic Range info ~ %dynamic_range_album% MISSING
- No ReplayGain info ~ %replaygain_track_gain% MISSING
- No Artist info ~ %path% HAS album AND album artist MISSING
- Played often ~ %play_count% GREATER 9
- Randomly sorted ~ ALL SORT BY “$rand()”
- Recently added ~ %added% DURING LAST 1 WEEKS
- Recently played ~ %last_played% DURING LAST 1 WEEK
- Recently modified ~ %last_modified% DURING LAST 2 WEEKS
Foobar Playlist Management Components:
- foo_new_playlist replicates the regular “New playlist” command with a customizable pattern in advanced configuration using %always_counter% and %maybe_counter% to enumerate possible names.
- Playlist Organizer organizes your playlists in a treeview fashion.
- Playlist Attributes allows attributes to be added to playlists.
- Playlist Dropdown displays playlists in a drop down menu.
- Playlist History maintains a playlist history.
- foo_utils allows inactive playlists to be edited or protected from editing.
- foo_playlist_revive replaces old file paths with new file paths
- Playlist_Bind binds a folder to a playlist
- Random Pools creates random dynamic playlists
- Remove Playing Track ~ Removes the playing track from the playing playlist and optionally advances playback.
- SimPlayList Manager has playback status icons, smooth scrolling, and statistics.
Building Autoplaylist querys ~ Foobar2000: Query Syntax
Formatting playlist contents ~ Title Formatting Introduction
Import & export XSPF playlists ~ github.com/Chocobo1/foo_xspf_1